N. King, N.Melenbrink, N.Cote, and G. Fagerstrom: 2016. “BUILD-ing the Lo-Fab Pavilion: Dynamo-driven collaborative robotic fabrication workflows for the construction of spatial structures” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Robots in Architecture, Art, and Design (RobArch), May 2016
Melenbrink, Nathan, and Nathan King: 2015. Fulldome Interfacing, Emerging Experience in Past, Present and Future of Digital Architecture, Proceedings of the 20th International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA 2015) / Daegu 20-22 May 2015, pp. 221-230
Nathan Melenbrink is a doctoral candidate at the Institute for Computational Design and Construction at the University of Stuttgart. He is currently in residency as a Research Fellow at the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering at Harvard University, where his research focuses on swarm robotics for construction. He is also co-teaching a new course called How to Design [almost] Anything at MIT. Prior to relocating to Cambridge, he was an Assistant Professor at the University of Hong Kong Shanghai Study Center from 2012 through 2014. His previous professional experience includes UNStudio Shanghai, Playze China Co. Ltd., OCEAN.CN and the East China Architectural Design & Research Institute in Shanghai. Previous academic experience includes parametric urbanism research at the University of Hong Kong, as well as a visiting tutorship at the University of Nottingham (Ningbo, China), the Architectural Association’s Shanghai Visiting School, and an Adjunct Faculty position at Virginia Tech.
- Reciprocal Frame Pavilion, University of Nottingham, Ningbo
- Ningbo Urban Planning Center, Playze
- Hailun Plaza, UNStudio
- Dalian Urban Planning Center, UNStudio
- 2015 "Design Technology" Lecture at the Virginia Tech College of Architecture and Urban Studies, sponsored by the Digital Mentorship Collaborative (DMCO) bi-annual lecture series. Blacksburg, VA; April 17th. http://archdesign.vt.edu/events/lectures/2015.1%20Spring/1530
- 2015 "Computation + Design" Lecture at the Rhode Island School of Design, Department of Architecture, Providence, RI; January 10th
- 2014 Fulldome Projections: Interfacing Ephemeral Urbanism, organizer and Cluster Champion for a research cluster at the SmartGeometry conference in Hong Kong
- 2013 “Applied Computation and the Digital Toolbox” Lecture at the Shanghai Food for Thought series, sponsored by the AIA and the Architect@Work Conference, December 4th.