- Leder, S., & Menges, A. (2023). Introducing Agent-Based Modeling Methods for Designing Architectural Structures with Multiple Mobile Robotic Systems. In C. Gengnagel, O. Baverel, G. Betti, M. Popescu, M. R. Thomsen, & J. Wurm (Eds.), Towards Radical Regeneration (pp. 71--83). Springer International Publishing.
- Leder, S., Kim, H., Oguz, O. S., Kalousdian, N. K., Hartmann, V. N., Menges, A., Toussaint, M., & Sitti, M. (2022). Leveraging Building Material as Part of the In-Plane Robotic Kinematic System for Collective Construction. Advanced Science, 2201524. https://doi.org/10.1002/advs.202201524
- Kubail Kalousdian, N., Lochnicki, G., Hartmann, V. N., Leder, S., Oguz, O. S., Menges, A., & Toussaint, M. (2022). Learning Robotic Manipulation of Natural Materials with Variable Properties for Construction Tasks. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 1–1. https://doi.org/10.1109/LRA.2022.3159288
- Stieler, D., Schwinn, T., Leder, S., Maierhofer, M., Kannenberg, F., & Menges, A. (2022). Agent-based modeling and simulation in architecture. Automation in Construction, 141, 104426. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2022.104426
- Łochnicki, G., Kubail Kalousdian, N., Leder, S., Maierhofer, M., Wood, D., & Menges, A. (2021). Co-Designing Material-Robot Construction Behaviors: Teaching distributed robotic systems to leverage active bending for light-touch assembly of bamboo bundle structures. In B. Farahi, B. Bogosian, J. Scott, J. L. García del Castillo y López, K. Dörfler, J. A. Grant, S. Parascho, & V. A. A. Noel (Eds.), Realignments: Toward Critical Computation - ACADIA 2021.
- Leder, S., Kim, H., Ozgur, O. S., Hartmann, V., Toussaint, M., Menges, A., & Sitti, M. (2020). Co-Design in Architecture: A Modular Material-Robot Kinematic Construction System. 2020 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) Proceedings of Workshop on Construction and Architecture Robotics.
- Leder, S., Weber, R., Vasey, L., Yablonina, M., & Menges, A. (2020). Voxelcrete: Distributed Voxelized Adaptive Formwork. ECAADe Online 2020 – Architecture and Fabrication in the Cognitive Age Proceedings of the 38th ECAADe Conference 2020.
- Leder, S., Weber, R., Wood, D., Bucklin, O., & Menges, A. (2019). Distributed Robotic Timber Construction: Designing of in-situ timber construction system with robot-material collaboration. ACADIA – Ubiquity and Autonomy Proceedings of the ACADIA Conference 2019.
Samuel is a doctoral candidate at the Institute for Computational Design and Construction at the University of Stuttgart. He holds a Bachelor of Design in Architecture, summa cum laude, as well as a Bachelors of Applied Science in Systems Science and Engineering, magna cum laude, from Washington University in St. Louis. He received a Masters in Science in Architecture through the Integrative Technologies and Architectural Design Research (ITECH) program at the University of Stuttgart. During which he was a recipient of both German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Award for Outstanding Achievement and the Deutschlandstipendium. His Master’s thesis together with Ramon Weber was awarded a sonderpreis through the Hochschulpreis Holzbau 2019. Before joining the Institute, Sam worked as an architect in Munich, Germany as well as a designer at a graphic design/ branding firm outside of San Francisco, CA.
His current research at ICD is part of the EXC 2120: Cluster of Excellence IntCDC – Integrative Computational Design and Construction for Architecture. As part of the Cluster, Sam’s current research is interested in the creation of bespoke distributed robotic systems for on-site construction. His work explores the notion of the minimal machine required to create complex spatial assemblies and specifically on the co-design of the machines and the design of structure they produce.
- Distributed Robotic Assembly System for In-Situ Timber Construction - ITECH MSc. University of Stuttgart
- ICD Sewn Timber Shell 2017