Adaptation Agency: Development of Computational Methods for the Design, Control and Reconfiguration of Adaptive Architectural Structures
- Adaptive Architecture: Architectural Adaptation & Robotic Architecture
- Ultra-lighweight Construction / Structural Adaptation
- Agent-based Modeling / Computational Design
- Behavior-based Robotics
- Tucker, C., Yang, X., Lehrecke, A., Maierhofer, M., Duque Estrada, R., & Menges, A. (2022). A Collaborative Multi-robot Platform for the Distributed Fabrication of Three-dimensional Fibrous Networks (Spatial Lacing). Proceedings of the 7th Annual ACM Symposium on Computational Fabrication, 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1145/3559400.3561995
- Shad, A., Sahin, E. S., Malafey, A., Bechert, S., Maierhofer, M., Knippers, J., & Menges, A. (2022). Assembly-Oriented Design Methodology for Segmented Timber Shells. In S. Xue, J. Wu, & G. Sun (Eds.), Innovation, Sustainability, Legacy: Proceedings of the IASS 2022 Symposium affiliated with APCS 2022 conference (pp. 1526–1537).
- Nguyen, L., Schwinn, T., Groenewolt, A., Maierhofer, M., Zorn, M. B., Stieler, D., Siriwardena, L., Kannenberg, F., & Menges, A. (2022). ABxM.Core: The Core Libraries of the ABxM Framework. DaRUS. https://doi.org/10.18419/darus-2994
- Stieler, D., Schwinn, T., Leder, S., Maierhofer, M., Kannenberg, F., & Menges, A. (2022). Agent-based modeling and simulation in architecture. Automation in Construction, 141, 104426. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2022.104426
- Łochnicki, G., Kubail Kalousdian, N., Leder, S., Maierhofer, M., Wood, D., & Menges, A. (2021). Co-Designing Material-Robot Construction Behaviors: Teaching distributed robotic systems to leverage active bending for light-touch assembly of bamboo bundle structures. In B. Farahi, B. Bogosian, J. Scott, J. L. García del Castillo y López, K. Dörfler, J. A. Grant, S. Parascho, & V. A. A. Noel (Eds.), Realignments: Toward Critical Computation - ACADIA 2021.
- Sobek, W., Sawodny, O., Bischoff, M., Blandini, L., Böhm, M., Haase, W., Klett, Y., Mahall, M., Weidner, S., Burghardt, T., Leistner, P., Maierhofer, M., Park, S., Reina, G., Roth, D., & Tarín Sauer, C. (2021). Adaptive Hüllen und Strukturen : Aus den Arbeiten des Sonderforschungsbereichs 1244. Bautechnik, 98(3), Article 3. https://doi.org/10.1002/bate.202000107
- Maierhofer, M., Ulber, M., Mahall, M., Serbest, A., & Menges, A. (2020). Designing (for) Change: Towards adaptivity-specific architectural design for situational open enviornments. In L. C. Werner & D. Koenig (Eds.), Anthropologic – Architecture and Fabrication in the Cognitive Age - Proceedings of the 38th eCAADe Conference 2020 (Vol. 2). https://doi.org/10.52842/conf.ecaade.2020.2.575
- Leistner, S., Honold, C., Maierhofer, M., Haase, W., Blandini, L., Sobek, W., Roth, D., Binz, H., & Menges, A. (2020). Research on integral design and planning processes for adaptive buildings. Architectural Engineering and Design Management, 0(0), Article 0. https://doi.org/10.1080/17452007.2020.1856031
- Maierhofer, M., Soana, V., Yablonina, M., Suzuki, S., Koerner, A., Knippers, J., & Menges, A. (2019). Self-Choreographing Network: Towards cyber-physical design and operation processes of adaptive and interactive bending-active systems. In K. Bieg, D. Briscoe, & C. Odom (Eds.), Ubiquity and Autonomy: Proceedings of the 39th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA) (pp. 654--663). ACADIA. https://doi.org/10.52842/conf.acadia.2019.654
- Maierhofer, M., & Menges, A. (2019). Towards integrative design processes and computational design tools for the design space exploration of adaptive architectural structures. ICETAD2019: Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Emerging Technologies in Architectural Design, 113--120.
ITECH MSc. Program
- ITECH Master Thesis Supervision 2022/23
- ITECH Master Thesis Supervision 2020/21
- ITECH Master Thesis Supervision 2019/20
- ITECH Seminar 'Behavioral Design and Fabrication 2022/23
- ITECH Seminar 'Behavioral Design and Fabrication 2021/22
- ITECH Seminar 'Behavioral Design and Fabrication 2020/21
- ITECH Seminar 'Behavioral Design and Fabrication 2019/20
- Computational Design and Digital Fabrication 2020
ITECH MSc. Thesis Project Supervision (Selection)
- Joint Effort: Robot Team Enabled Carbon Fiber Joining Strategies for Lightweight Wood Construction
- Co-Designing Material-Robot Behaviors Systems for Autonomous Construction
- A Distributed System for Fibrous Networks
- [Design For] Robotic Assembly of Modular Timber Structures
Mathias Maierhofer is a researcher, architect and designer, interested in exploring how adaptivity in architecture enables new ways of conceiving, designing and operating our built environment. He is a research associate at the Institute for Computational Design and Construction (ICD) at the University of Stuttgart, where he is also involved in teaching graduate students within the ‘Integrative Technologies and Architectural Design Research’ (ITECH) M.Sc. Programme.
Prior to joining ICD, Mathias worked as an architect in Austria and the Netherlands. He holds a bachelor’s degree in architecture from Vienna University of Technology as well as a master’s degree with distinction from the ITECH Master program at the University of Stuttgart. For his master’s thesis “Self-Choreographing Network”, which he developed together with his colleague Valentina Soana, he received a scholarship for a research residency at the Autodesk Technology Center in Boston.
His current research at ICD is affiliated with the Collaborative Research Center (CRC) 1244 “Adaptive Building Skins and Structures for the Built Environment of Tomorrow”. Within this framework, he develops computational strategies for the interactive design and cyber-physical operation of adaptive architectural structures – aimed at unlocking the architectural opportunities arising from the conception of buildings as robotic systems.
Collaborative Research Center 1244 (PhD Research)
- ABxM.Core: A software framework to support research and teaching in the area of agent-based modeling.
ITECH M.Sc. Master Thesis: