Vasey, L., Menges, A. “Potentials of Cyber-physical Systems in Architecture and Construction.” 2019 In “Construction 4.0—Innovation Platform for the Built Environment.” Co-Editors: Anil Sawhney, Mike Riley and Javier Irizarry. Taylor and Francis: 2020.
Felbrich, B.; Frueh, N.; Prado, M.; Saffarian, S.; Solly, J.; Vasey, L.; Knippers., J.; Menges, A.: 2017, "Multi-Machine Fabrication: An Integrative Design Process Utilising an Autonomous UAV and Industrial Robots for the Fabrication of Long Span Composite Structures," in ACADIA – Disciplines & Disruption [Proceedings of the ACADIA Conference 2017], Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, pp. 248-259. (ISBN: 978-0-692-96506-1)
Vasey, L., Nguyen, N., Grossman, T., Kerrick, H., Nagy, D., Atherton, E., Thomasson, D., Cote, N., Benjamin, D., Fitzmaurice, G., Menges, A. "Collaborative Construction: Human and Robotic Collaboration Enabling the Fabrication and Assembly of a Filament-Wound Structure." ACADIA // 2016: POSTHUMAN FRONTIERS: Data, Designers, and Cognitive Machines [Proceedings of the 36th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture, 2016
Brugnaro, G., Baharlou, E., Vasey, L., Menges, A., "Robotic Softness: An Adaptive Robotic Fabrication Process for Woven Structures." ACADIA // 2016: POSTHUMAN FRONTIERS: Data, Designers, and Cognitive Machines [Proceedings of the 36th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture, 2016
Lafreniere, B., Grossman, T., Anderson, T., Matejka, J., Kerrick, H., Nagy, D., Vasey, L., Atherton, E., Beirne, N., Coelho, M., Cote, N., Li, S., Nogueira, A., Nguyen, L., Schwinn, T., Stoddart, J., Thomasson, D., Wang, R., White, T., Benjamin,B., Conti, M., Menges, A., Fitzmaurice, G. 2016. “Crowdsourced Fabrication.” In Proceedings of the 29th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software & Technology.Tokyo: UIST.
Vasey, L. Baharlou, E. ,Dörstelmann, M. Koslowski, V. Prado. M, Schieber, S. Menges, A. Knippers J. "Behavioral design and adaptive robotic fabrication of a fiber composite compression shell with pneumatic formwork." Computational Ecologies: Design in the Anthropocene: Acadia Conference Proceedings, 2015
Schieber, G., Koslowski, V., Dörstelmann, M., Prado, M., Vasey, L., Knippers, J., Menges A.: 2015, Integrated design and fabrication strategies for fibrous structures, in Ramsgaard Thomsen, M., Tamke, M., Gengnagel, C., Faircloth, B., Scheurer, F. (eds.): 2015 Modelling Behaviour – Proceedings of the Design Modelling Symposium Copenhagen 2015, Copenhagen, Denmark.
Dörstelmann, M., Knippers, J., Koslowski, V., Menges, A., Prado, M.,Schieber, G., Vasey, L.: 2015, ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion 2014-15 – Fibre Placement on a Pneumatic Body Based on a Water Spider Web, Architectural Design, Vol. 85 No. 5, Wiley, London, pp. 60 – 65. (ISBN 978-11118878378
Vomhof, M., Vasey. L, Breuaer, S., Eggenschwiler, K., Strauss, J., Gramazio, F., Kohler, M. 2014. "Robotic Fabrication of Acoustic Brick Walls" In Design Agency: Acadia Conference Proceedings, Los Angeles.
Vasey, L., Maxwell, I, Pigram, D., 2014 "Adaptive Part Variation A Near Real-Time Approach to Construction Tolerances. In Robotic Fabrication in Architecture, Art and Design, edited by Wes McGee and Monica Ponce de Leon. Springer International Publishing. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-04663-1_19.
Pigram, D., Maxwell, I., McGee, W., Hagenhofer-Daniell, B., Vasey, L., 2012 "Protocols, Pathways, and Production" In Robotic Fabrication in Architecture, Art, and Design, edited by Sigrid Brell-Cokcan and Johannes Braumann. Vienna: Springer International Publishing.
Lauren Vasey, born 1986, was a Research Associate and a Doctoral Candidate at the Institute for Computational Design and Construction at The University of Stuttgart. Previously, she received a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from Tufts University, cum laude, and a Masters of Architecture from the University of Michigan, with distinction.
Her research and courses taught at ICD focused on behavioral and adaptive robotic fabrication: considering in particular how sensor feedback, iterative computation, and robotic behaviors enable new types of production.
At the end of 2019, Lauren’s doctoral dissertation was accepted by the faculty committee, with her defense to follow in early 2020. She began a post-doc position in the beginning of 2020 at the ETH-Zurich as part of the NCCR – National Center of Research Competence in Digital Fabrication on in-situ robotics.
- Elected Member, Acadia, Board of Directors, Oct, 2016, to present
- Elected Member, IJAC, Editorial Board (Acadia Representative), Oct, 2017, to present
- Robotic Manufacturing of Fibrous Structures in Space, with ESA, ACT
- ICD/ITKE ITECH Research Demonstrator 2018/2019
- Kuka Innovation Semi Finalist Award 2018: Real-World Interaction Challenge
- ICD/ITKE ITECH Research Demonstrator 2017/2018
- ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion 2016/2017
- Autodesk University Pavilion 2015: (AU Hive)
- ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion 2014/2015
- Acoustic Bricks, ETH Zurich, 2012-2014 (Gramazio and Kohler Research)
- Keynote: Digital transformation and new challenges. IUSS/DA IDAUP closing conference. Ferrara, Italy, November, 2019
- BIM Symposium, Princeton, April, 2019
- Swarm Robotics Workshop, Universität zu Lübeck, December, 2018
- "Leveraging Forge For Human Robot Collaboration in AEC", Autodesk University DevCon, Las Vegas, USA, November, 2018,
- Keynote: Advances in Architectural Geometry (AAG), with Maria Yablonina, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, SE, September, 2018
- "Potentials of Cyber-physical robotic production in architecture and construction," Paradigm Shift Keynote, New Zealand, May, 2018
- "Potentials of Cyber-physical robotic production," Plexus Lecture Series, UCL The Bartlett, March 1st, 2018
- "Multi-Machine Fabrication: An Integrative Design Process Utilising an Autonomous UAV and Industrial Robots for the Fabrication of Long Span Composite Structures," Acadia: Disciplines and Disruptions, MIT, October, 2017
- Session Chair: "Flexible Structures Session," Acadia: Disciplines and Disruptions, MIT, October, 2017
- “Behavioral Building: Construction strategies from nature for adaptive and feedback-driven robotic processes in architecture.” Keynote at TU Dresden: Construction Bionics: Bio-Inspired Concepts for the Built Environment Workshop, August, 2017
- "Potentials of Cyber-Physical Systems in Architecture and Fabrication", at Pratt Institute, NY, Oct, 2016
- "Collaborative Construction", at Acadia 2016, University of Michigan, USA, Oct 2016
- "Workshop Panel: Robotic Softness and Behavioral Fabrication", at Acadia 2016, University of Michigan, USA, Oct 2016
- "Digital and Physical Agent-based Design and Construction Methods", at "Design and Coordination of Micro- to Macro-Scale Swarms" Workshop, Max Planck Institute/ETH-Zurich, June 2016
- “The Hive: a human and robot collaborative building process” with Tovi Grossman, Heather Kerrick, and Danil Nagy. ACM Siggraph Talks. Anaheim, CA, USA. July, 2016
- “Robotic Fabrication of Fibrous Structures for Potential Application in Space Constructions", ESTEC, European Space Agency, The Netherlands, May, 2016
- Presentation of Work, "Adaptive Robotic Fabrication," TU Darmstadt, Darmstadt, DE, February, 2015
- AD Launch, "Fibre Placement on a Pneumatic Body Based on a Water Spider Web," Deutsch Architectural Museum, Frankfurt, DE, October, 2015
- "Behavioral Design and Adaptive Robotic Fabrication of a Fiber Composite Compression Shell with Pneumatic Formwork." University of Cincinnati, Computational Ecologies, Acadia 2015
- Research Pavilion 2014/2015, California College of the Arts, San Francisco, USA, September, 2015
- Robots in Architecture Conference, University of Michigan, USA, May, 2014
- University of Michigan: ACADIA: Behavioural Fabrication Process of Woven Structures, co-taught with Giulio Brugnaro, October 2016
- University of Michigan: RobArch|2014 – Adaptive Part Variation, co-taught with Dave Pigram
- University of Michigan: Python Workshop Series, Spring 2013
- Behavioural Fabrication/Advanced Robotics (SS16, SS17, WS18)
- ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion 2014/2015 (WS14)
- ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion 2016/2017 (SS16, WS16)
Scientific review committee:
- Construction Robotics Journal, Springer, 2020
- ACM, Symposium on Computation Fabrication, 2019
- TEI 2018, USA
- ACADIA 2018, 2019
- Fabricate 2017, 2019
- Design Modeling Symposium 2017