Agent-based modeling and simulation, robotic fabrication, segmented shell design, design methodology, ZukunftBau funding initiative
- Schwinn, T., Sonntag, D., Grun, T., Nebelsick, J. H., Knippers, J., & Menges, A. (2019). Potential applications of segmented shells in architecture. In J. Knippers, U. Schmid, & T. Speck (Eds.), Biomimetics for Architecture (pp. 116--125). De Gruyter. https://doi.org/10.1515/9783035617917-015
- Schwinn, T., Krieg, O. D., & Menges, A. (2018). Landesgartenschau Exhibition Hall: Robotically Fabricated Lightweight Timber Shell. In P. Yuan, A. Menges, & N. Leach (Eds.), Digital Fabrication (pp. 123--130). Tongji University Press.
- Schwinn, T. (2016). Landesgartenschau Exhibition Hall. In A. Menges, T. Schwinn, & O. D. Krieg (Eds.), Advancing Wood Architecture : A Computational Approach (pp. 111--124). Routledge.
- Schwinn, T. (2016). Manufacturing Perspectives. In A. Menges, T. Schwinn, & O. D. Krieg (Eds.), Advancing Wood Architecture (pp. 185--198). Routledge.
- Schwinn, T., Krieg, O. D., & Menges, A. (2016). Robotic Sewing: A Textile Approach Towards the Computational Design and Fabrication of Lightweight Timber Shells. In K. Velikov, S. Ahlquist, M. del Campo, & G. Thün (Eds.), ACADIA 2016: Posthuman Frontiers: Data, Designers, and Cognitive Machines - Proceedings of the 36th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (pp. 224--233).
- Schwinn, T., Krieg, O. D., & Menges, A. (2015). Landesgartenschau Exhibition Hall: Robotically Fabricated Lightweight Timber Shell. In P. Yuan, A. Menges, & N. Leach (Eds.), Robotic Futures (pp. 118--123). Tongji University Press.
- Schwinn, T., & Menges, A. (2015). Fabrication Agency: Landesgartenschau Exhibition Hall. Architectural Design, 85(5), 92--99. https://doi.org/10.1002/ad.1960
- Schwinn, T., Krieg, O. D., & Menges, A. (2014). Behavioral Strategies: Synthesizing design computation and robotic fabrication of lightweight timber plate structures. Design Agency Proceedings of the 34th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA), 177--188. http://cumincad.scix.net/cgi-bin/works/Show?acadia14\_177
- Schwinn, T., Magna, R. L., Reichert, S., Waimer, F., Knippers, J., & Menges, A. (2013). Prototyping Biomimetic Structures for Architecture. In M. Stacey (Ed.), Prototyping Architecture: The Conference Papers (pp. 224--244). The Building Centre Trust.
- Schwinn, T., Krieg, O. D., & Menges, A. (2013). Robotically Fabricated Wood Plate Morphologies. In S. Brell-Cokcan & J. Braumann (Eds.), Rob | Arch 2012 (pp. 48--61). Springer Vienna. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-7091-1465-0_4
- Schwinn, T. (2012). Programmable Logic. In N. Leach (Ed.), Scripting the Future (pp. 56--61). Tongji University Press.
- Fabrication Agency Thesis Advisor 2016
- Fabrication Agency Thesis Advisor 2015
Studios / Pavilions:
- ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion 2015-16 (Spring/Summer 2014-15)
- Thesis Preparation Studio 2014-15 (Fall/Winter 2014-15)
- Performative Morphology Studio 2014-15 (Fall/Winter 2014-15)
- ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion 2013-14 (Spring/Summer 2013)
- ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion 2012 (Spring/Summer 2012)
- ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion 2011 (Spring/Summer 2011)
- Computational Design and Digital Fabrication Seminar, Spring/Summer 2020
- Behavioural Fabrication Seminar, Fall/Winter 2019/20
- Computational Design Techniques and Design Thinking Seminar, Fall/Winter 2019/20
- Computational Design and Digital Fabrication Seminar, Spring/Summer 2019
- Computational Design Techniques and Design Thinking Seminar, Fall/Winter 2018/19
- Computational Design and Digital Fabrication Seminar, Spring/Summer 2018
- Computational Design Techniques and Design Thinking Seminar, Fall/Winter 2017/18
- Behavioural Fabrication Seminar 2016
- Computational Design and Digital Fabrication Seminar 2015
- Architectural Biomimetics 2014/15
- Computational Design and Digital Fabrication Seminar 2014
- KUKA-certified Basic Robot Programming workshop, since 2015 bi-anually. University of Stuttgart in collaboration with KUKA College Augsburg
- Robotic Sewing of Timber Veneer, 2016. RobArch Conference, Sydney
- Wood Plate Morphologies, 2014. Monash University, Melbourne
- Future Traditions, 2013. University of Porto (FAUP), Porto
- Wood Morphologies, 2012. RobArch Conference, Stuttgart
- Parametric Design Workshop, 2011. METU, Ankara
Tobias Schwinn is a lecturer (Akademischer Rat) at the Institute for Computational Design and Construction (ICD) at the University of Stuttgart, Germany. In research and teaching, he is focusing on behavior-based approaches for integrating robotic fabrication and computational design processes in the context of segmented shell structures. He is one of the founding members and currently leader of ICD's "Agent-based Modeling and Simulation" research group, where he supports colleagues in their diverse research areas, such as design of adaptive buildings, fabrication-oriented design of modular concrete structures, and distributed robotics. As Head of Research and Research Infrastructure, he is in charge of the robotic fabrication equipment at the institute's Robolab and the Computational Construction Laboratory in Wangen.
Prior to joining the ICD in 2011, Tobias worked as a Senior Designer for Skidmore, Owings and Merrill LLP in New York and London applying computational design approaches such as parametric design and scripting to automation, complex geometry, and sustainability at all design stages.
Tobias studied architecture at the Bauhaus-University in Weimar, Germany and at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia as part of the US-EU Joint Consortium for Higher Education. He received his diploma-engineering degree in 2005.
He has been invited studio critic at Columbia GSAPP, Harvard GSD, Pratt Institute, AA London and has taught various workshops on computational design and digital fabrication, among others at University of Sydney as part of the Robotics in Architecture Conference in 2016, at Monash University in Melbourne (MADA) in 2014, at the University of Porto (FAUP) in 2013, at TU Vienna as part of the Robotics in Architecture Conference in 2012, at the Middle Eastern Technical University in Ankara (METU) in 2011, the University of East London (UEL), or the master course at the Dessau Institute of Architecture (DIA).
- ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion 2015-16
- Landesgartenschau Exhibition Hall
- ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion 2013-14
- HygroSkin: Meteorosensitive Pavilion
- ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion 2012
- HygroScope: Meteorosensitive Morphology
- ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion 2011
- Behaviour-based Design, Fabrication and Construction of Segmented Shells - Doctoral Research
- Segmented Shell Structures - Collaborative Research Centre Transregio 141 (DFG)
- Robotic Fabrication in Timber Construction - Cluster Forst und Holz Initiative (EFRE/BW)
Scientific review committee:
- Fabricate 2020, UCL, London
- ACADIA 2019, Austin, TX
- Research Culture in Architecture 2018, Kaiserslautern
- Robots in Architecture 2018, Zürich
- Fabricate 2017, Stuttgart
- ACADIA 2016, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Advances in Architectural Geometry 2016, Zurich
- Smart Geometry 2016, Gothenburg
- Robots in Architecture 2016, Sydney
- ACADIA 2014, Los Angeles
- Advances in Architectural Geometry 2014, London
- ACADIA 2012, San Francisco